Week 3 Reflection on Chp. 1 & 2
The first couple
of chapters in the book gave me a lot of food for thought because I had not
really considered instructional design in relation to other design disciplines.
My previous experience with instructional design has focused more on needs
analysis, learning objectives, assessment, and choosing appropriate
instructional strategies. I had not thought much about how instructional design
compares with fields such as architecture, art, or science.
After reading
Parrish’s view on instructional design, I can appreciate the “out of the box”
thinking while disagreeing with some of his comparisons. For example, he writes
that artists and instructional designers both create experiences that can
change perceptions, raise curiosity, and generate emotional responses. I can
see curiosity as an important part of learning, especially when trying to get
learners interested in a topic. However, I am not sure that changing
perceptions or generating an emotional response is always a goal of
instructional design. Sometimes learning is simply about gaining new
information or developing a skill the learner did not have before.
Parrish also
describes a generalized design process across disciplines that includes
yearning, gathering, envisioning, depicting, transforming, and learning. I
understand the value of identifying similarities among design fields, but I
still think the work of an architect or fashion designer is substantially
different from the work of an instructional designer. What I found more useful
was Nelson’s distinction among science, art, and design. His argument that
design is concerned with both the process and the desired outcome makes sense
to me, particularly in instructional design, where we are concerned not only
with how instruction is developed but whether learners actually achieve the
intended result.
Bannan’s chapter
connected more directly with my own experience. She argues that traditional
instructional design models can oversimplify what is actually a complicated and
sometimes messy design process. Today’s learning environments can involve
multiple audiences, multiple goals, different technologies, different settings,
and many stakeholders. That idea resonates with my current work in higher
education. Supporting faculty with an LMS may look straightforward from the
outside but, the same instructional problem can require very different
solutions depending on the instructor, the course modality, the students, the
technology being used, and the amount of time or support available.
This also made me
think differently about the instructional design models I have learned. Models
such as ADDIE are useful because they provide structure, especially when
learning the field, but real situations do not always unfold neatly in stages.
Bannan argues that stage models cannot fully represent the changing and interdisciplinary
nature of actual design practice. That raises a question for me: At what point
does following an instructional design model help a designer, and at what point
can it begin to limit creativity or responsiveness to the situation?
Gibbons’ response
adds another idea I found interesting: design abduction (pulled from Dorst’s
work). In this type of reasoning, designers begin with a desired outcome but
still have to determine both what to create and how it will
achieve that outcome. I think this describes a lot of instructional design
work. We may know what we want learners to accomplish, but there may be several
possible ways to get there. The designer then has to consider the learners,
available resources, technology, time, and context before deciding what
solution makes the most sense.
The readings also leave me
wondering how instructional designers develop that kind of judgment. Models and
theories can be taught, but the ability to recognize when to follow them, adapt
them, or move away from them may come largely through experience. That may be
one of the biggest differences between learning instructional design and practicing
it.
Comments
Post a Comment